The world’s largest annual mobile connectivity show, Mobile World Congress (MWC), is set to begin tomorrow in Barcelona, Spain. On March 4, the four-day event will come to an end. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some tech companies have withdrawn from the event. Due to Russia’s ongoing invasion of Ukraine, the event’s organizer, the GSMA, has barred a few Russian tech companies and carriers from attending.
The GSMA has not stated whether or not all Russian companies will be barred from attending the event. “There will be no Russian pavilion at this year’s event,” the organizer had previously told Reuters.
The spokesman stated, “The GSMA will continue to cooperate with international sanctions against Russia.”
“The GSMA strongly condemns the Russian invasion of Ukraine,” the GSMA said in a statement in response to the Ukraine crisis. The situation is rapidly evolving, and we understand that some governments are considering imposing broader sanctions on Russia. In light of this developing situation and the tragic loss of life, MWC appears to be irrelevant in the circumstances. MWC is a unifying event to bring together the mobile ecosystem to advance ways and means for people, industry, and society to thrive through connectivity.
“The GSMA follows all government sanctions and policies resulting from this situation,” the organizer added. At MWC22, there will be no Russian Pavilion. As new information becomes available, the event’s security is reviewed and adjusted.”
There is just 24 hours until MWC Barcelona 2022 begins!— MWC Barcelona | #MWC22 (@MWCHub) February 27, 2022
Please ensure you have everything prepared for your entry to the venue tomorrow, and you've bookmarked every session you want to attend!
See you very, very soon 👉 https://t.co/WumjHqwwEg pic.twitter.com/3IQJa908yP
This year, 1500 exhibitors are expected to attend Mobile World Congress 2022, including AWS, Lenovo, Samsung, Realme, Intel, and others.
See Top Stories